Page 40 of 44 < 1 2 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#512477 - 11/27/21 01:47 AM Re: Politics, Paranormal, Points of View, Ponderings. [Re: Ho Brah!]
Jarnoh

Loc: Netherlands
The climate change discussion is just weird. Climate has always changed throughout history, or does anyone here want to deny there've been ice ages? Now suddenly it should be a massive problem if the temperature just rises one degree.

Maybe human activities cause the planet to warm up a bit, maybe there are other causes or maybe the weather man is a liar and it doesn't warm up that much at all. I'd say just adapt to the changes if they happen.

#512478 - 11/27/21 10:40 AM Re: Politics, Paranormal, Points of View, Ponderings. [Re: Jarnoh]
ulithebison

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Jarnoh
The climate change discussion is just weird. Climate has always changed throughout history, or does anyone here want to deny there've been ice ages? Now suddenly it should be a massive problem if the temperature just rises one degree.

Maybe human activities cause the planet to warm up a bit, maybe there are other causes or maybe the weather man is a liar and it doesn't warm up that much at all. I'd say just adapt to the changes if they happen.

Now I'm not a climate advocate, but unfortunately it's not that simple. You of all people, as a Dutchman, should know that very well. Your country is disappearing into the sea.

The global climate has always shown more or less strong fluctuations, caused by various natural processes. In general, four different parameters can be named that cause the global climate to fluctuate:

Changes in incident solar radiation
Changes in reflected solar radiation
Changes in thermal radiation emitted into space
Internal variations of the climate system

Recurrent changes in the Earth's orbit can be detected at regular, very large intervals of tens of thousands of years, with high correlations documented with climatic changes on Earth.

The special/worst thing about the present climate change is its speed.1 degree in 100 years is too much compared to a "normal" climate change. The above-average rapid climate changes since the 19th century are primarily due to the dawn of the industrial age.
If you don't believe me, you are welcome to visit me and we will go to the Alps and I will show you the change in the last 10 years alone.

#512479 - 11/27/21 01:46 PM Re: Politics, Paranormal, Points of View, Ponderings. [Re: ulithebison]
Jarnoh

https://www.oxfam.org.uk/media/press-rel...-limit-in-2030/

Good luck convincing the richest people of the world to live like the poorest ones then. Me flying over to the Alps to look at the remaining parts of the glaciers would only make them shrink further smile

The disappearing into the sea of the Netherlands any time soon is probably a lot of fearmongering. You may have noticed there's a lot of that going on in the world. In fact: the land surface of the Netherlands has grown a lot since the dawn of the industrial revolution (look up "inpolderen").

#512481 - 11/27/21 04:48 PM Re: Politics, Paranormal, Points of View, Ponderings. [Re: Matty]
Trite

Originally Posted By: Matty
Trite, the weathers shit here, can u get in contact with those who manipulate the weather and ask them to get the sun out, cheers

I do not work for any entity who does such. Would say that if I did...I may punish you further tbh lolololol

#512482 - 11/28/21 06:14 AM Re: Politics, Paranormal, Points of View, Ponderings. [Re: Jarnoh]
ulithebison

https://www.oxfam.org.uk/media/press-releases/carbon-emissions-of-richest-1-set-to-be-30-times-the-15c-limit-in-2030/

Good luck convincing the richest people of the world to live like the poorest ones then. Me flying over to the Alps to look at the remaining parts of the glaciers would only make them shrink further smile

You are also welcome to come by train.

The disappearing into the sea of the Netherlands any time soon is probably a lot of fearmongering. You may have noticed there's a lot of that going on in the world. In fact: the land surface of the Netherlands has grown a lot since the dawn of the industrial revolution (look up "inpolderen").

Sure, by filling up areas. Do not close your eyes. The sea level has risen about 12 to 20 centimeters from 1902 to 2010. The rate at which the sea level is rising has increased. In the last few years, it has risen twice as fast compared to the 20th century, with a rise of 4 to 5 millimeters every year. The rate at which the sea level is rising is still increasing.

#512483 - 11/28/21 08:17 AM Re: Politics, Paranormal, Points of View, Ponderings. [Re: ulithebison]
Jarnoh

I'm not closing my eyes and know that the figures you're naming are what many scientist are agreeing about. If they're indeed correct we'll probably just have to live with it because it's not likely the richest part of world population will part with their luxuries. No more glaciers for you and I'll have to invest in a nice pair of wellies.

But don't worry too much about it: any civilization will collapse at some point. After ours has the climate can go it's own way again.

#512484 - 11/28/21 08:37 AM Re: Politics, Paranormal, Points of View, Ponderings. [Re: Jarnoh]
Olir

What's the end game of climate denial? Do you want everyone to keep using fossil fuels? If so, there's a host of further problems with that.

Regardless of the carbon we have been pumping into the atmosphere I am changing my investments to green energy and battery supply chains. I'm not buying another petrol/diesel car. I don't want to be left stranded when the next fuel crisis happens.

#512485 - 11/28/21 09:06 AM Re: Politics, Paranormal, Points of View, Ponderings. [Re: Olir]
Jarnoh

The rest of the world probably doens't care what energy they should use according to me. However, if I was a dictator there wouldn't even be cars in my country: ride a bicycle or walk/run. No planes either.

#512488 - 11/30/21 04:14 AM Re: Politics, Paranormal, Points of View, Ponderings. [Re: Jarnoh]
ulithebison

I'm not closing my eyes and know that the figures you're naming are what many scientist are agreeing about. If they're indeed correct we'll probably just have to live with it because it's not likely the richest part of world population will part with their luxuries. No more glaciers for you and I'll have to invest in a nice pair of wellies.

But don't worry too much about it: any civilization will collapse at some point. After ours has the climate can go it's own way again.

So you have more of a "fuck you all" attitude. If they don't change anything, I don't have to either, right?

It's always the others' fault. Why should I do something when the others do nothing?
Mankind is simply lazy, selfish and ignorant. That is what brings civilizations down.

What about your children, grandchildren, nephews, nieces?
Because that's what I always think. And everyone can do their part.

Edited by ulithebison (11/30/21 05:08 AM)

#512489 - 11/30/21 07:16 AM Re: Politics, Paranormal, Points of View, Ponderings. [Re: ulithebison]
Jarnoh

Lol, you're not reading it correctly. I don't have a car, don't travel by plane, planted up the garden - couple of trees, flowers for the bees etc. Energy consumption of the household is way below the average for the country. I'm just saying it probably doesn't help at all as most people 'doing their part' are still participating in activities that are said to harm the planet.

What never ceases to amuse me, for example, are people that are so passionate about nature that they have to fly all over the planet every year to visit as many distant places as possible. Of course they are 'doing their part' to protect the planet by not eating meat or something.

I'm not lazy or saying 'fuck it all', just realistic about the fact that if human activities change the climate you'll have to live with the consequences anyway at some point.

Page 40 of 44 < 1 2 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 >

Who's Online
0 Registered (), 128 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod